Fire Destroys Home in Alpena

ALPENA, MI – No one wants to start out the New Year by having their home destroyed by fire. The Alpena Fire Department battled a blaze that started at about 9:30 this morning at 317 W. Miller Street.  The property is a duplex and no one was at home at the time when the fire was first reported.

When fire fighters arrived they saw flames coming from the basement of the home which then raced up to the main floor of the home.The house was heavily damaged by the fire and smoke but is not considered a total loss.  Reports from the fire chief are that the fire started in basement in the chimney of the home

The beloved bakery next door to the home appeared not to be affected by the fire.