Published on: Feb 18, 2014 @ 19:51
ROYAL OAK, MI – Most of us have watched on almost any newscast in the past several weeks about water mains breaking all over the metro area because of the brutal winter that Michigan has been enduring. Pipes inside buildings are no different. Gilda’s Club was flooded when a fire suppression pipe burst on a bitter cold afternoon on January 29th, 2014. The original estimate of $200,000 in damages was just the beginning. The price tag for cleanup and restoration is now climbing towards $400,000.
Gilda’s Club is housed in a 9,500-square-foot Sears Roebuck catalog home from 1913. The Clubhouse at 3517 Rochester Road, Royal Oak, MI has been a place where many have come to for guidance and support when cancer has invaded their lives. Services that a place like Gilda’s club offers to those who are suffering through or have suffered through cancer cannot be measured.
Gilda’s Club is a community organization for people living with cancer, their families and friends. Local chapters provide meeting places where those living with cancer, their families, and friends can join with others to build emotional and social support as a supplement to medical care. Free of charge and nonprofit, Gilda’s Club chapters offer support and networking groups, lectures, workshops and social events in a nonresidential, homelike setting. Gilda’s Club was named in tribute to comic actress Gilda Radner, who died of ovarian cancer in 1989.
The costs for repairing Gilda’s Club of Metro Detroit have climbed and they need the support to help get them back in their club house. You can find more information about Gilda’s Club of Metro Detroit and how to donate here: http://www.gildasclubdetroit.org/ways-to-give/donate/