Northland Area Federal Credit Union has purchased the properties located between Goodwill and the Crossroads Shopping Plaza located on the corner of Bagley and M-32. They have 13 other locations throughout Michigan. Those locations are in AuGres, Grayling, Hale, Harrisville, Houghton Lake, Mio, Oscoda, Skidway, Tawas and two in the West Branch area.
Amanda Moore with Northland Area Federal Credit Union responded with a request for information. She stated that it will be at least two years before the doors will be open to this new business.
In 1957, a small group of people gathered in an office on Wurtsmith Air Force Base to discuss the possibility of starting a credit union. After extensive discussions with federal regulators and a Michigan Credit Union League consultant, it was decided a credit union would be of great benefit to U.S. Air Force personnel, their families, and government employees working on Wurtsmith AFB. It was then called Wurtsmith Federal Credit Union.
On October 23, 1957, the doors opened to a total of 48 members, and over the next fifty years, Wurtsmith encountered many changes. By 1964, the credit union reached the million-dollar asset plateau, and because of its continuously growing membership, the credit union moved off the Air Force base in 1969. In 1977, after merging with Oscoda Sacred Heart CU and Tawas Community CU, their charter changed and Wurtsmith Federal became Wurtsmith Community Federal Credit Union.
After the closing of Wurtsmith AFB located in Oscoda, it was decided that a new name was needed which would more accurately describe the total membership. On October 1991, the name was changed to Northland Area Federal Credit Union. This credit union serves over 38,000 members.