Jayru Campbell Appears Disinterested During Preliminary Exam

DETROIT, MI – Jayru Campbell is accused of assaulting his girlfriend during a dispute over a cellphone in the high school on Sept. 12th, 2014. He allegedly pushed her to the ground and hit her at Cass Tech High School just hours after he was released from a juvenile detention center for serving a 57-day sentence for body slamming a school security guard.Jayru Campbell

During a preliminary exam in court today he was seen in Wayne County Jail greens and was seated in handcuffs at the defense table.  He appeared to be almost disinterested in the proceeding concerning him.

Campbell’s now ex-girlfriend testified during today’s hearing.

Prosecutors charged 17-year-old Jayru with unarmed robbery, Assault with Intent to Do Great Bodily Harm and misdemeanor Domestic Violence Assault and Battery.

Jayru Campbell, who was deemed as a Cass Tech Star Quarterback prior to his assault on a security guard at the school, has allowed his future to be shredded.

Campbell was seen physically assaulting his girlfriend inside of Cass Tech High School. A teacher and other students intervened to stop the incident.

Jayru assaulted a security guard at Cass Tech in February of 2014.  In a plea deal with the court, Judge Timothy Kenny gave Jayru Campbell a huge break.  Campbell was sentenced to 60 days in jail, 75 hours of community service and serve 15 months of probation, including random drug testing and psychological exams.

Jayru Campbell started serving his sentence on July 28th, 2014.  He was released on September 12th, 2014.  He was released noon from the Wayne County Jail and within a few short hours assaulted his girlfriend on Detroit Public School property.

Judge Kenny had sentenced Campbell under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act.  If Jayru Campbell would have completed his sentence under those terms, he had the chance to avoid a criminal record.

When he was arrested for the case of assaulting the security guard at Cass Tech, many were upset that the incident was being played out in the media and that he should be given a second chance for his indiscretion.  Now the mood has flipped and many have commented on social media and are believing that Campbell has deeper issues that need to be addressed.

As Jayru exited the courtroom after the proceedings concluded, he acknowledged family who were seated in the gallery though he did not say anything to them.

If convicted, Campbell faces up to 15 years in prison.

Loading Disqus Comments ...
'); });