First Child in Michigan Dies from the Enterovirus D68


DETROIT, MI – Madeline Reid, a 21-month-old child, has died from the Enterovirus D68 at Children’s Hospital in Detroit.  She is the first child in Michigan to die from the virus that has caused severe respiratory illness across the country.Madeline Reid

Madeline Reid was from Clinton Township, MI.  Her symptoms started out with a runny nose.




She was diagnosed with the Enterovirus D68 on September 14th, 2014.

The virus caused failure in all of Maddie’s organs, along with congestive heart failure and Myocarditis.

The goal was to support Madeline’s body to recover to be eligible to receive a  mechanical heart.  The mechanical heart would have provided support for Madeline’s body while waiting for a heart transplant.

Madeline was on life support utilizing dialysis, a ventilator and ECMO, which ultimately caused two massive strokes; that led to severe brain damage.  Due to the complications Madeline’s surgery date of September 29th, 2014 for the mechanical Berlin heart had to be cancelled, and denied to be placed on the transplant list.

On October 8th, 2014 Madeline was forced to be removed from the ECMO machine.  She fought on her own for the next 48 hours.  She passed peacefully in her mother and father’s arms on October 10th, 2014 at 2:55pm.

You can help donate to Maddie’s family at their GoFundMe page by clicking here.

Loading Disqus Comments ...
Loading Facebook Comments ...