Hillman Family Displaced by Fire in need of Donations


HILLMAN, MI – A morning house fire ripped through a family home in the Village of Hillman on October 28th, 2014.  The family is in need of donations through community support.140 1st Street, Hillman, MI

The home located at 140 1st Street in Hillman is a total loss.




It is believed that the fire was caused by a lamp in a bedroom.

The home owner was alerted to the fire by a working smoke detector in the residence.

There were no reported injuries to the family or responding fire crews.

Sadly, the home had been up for sale, a buyer had been found and was set for a closing in about two weeks.  That sale is now gone in the flames as well.  A kitten also perished in the fire.

Though the house was insured, everything in the home is gone.  The Red Cross has assisted the family with temporary shelter.

The family is now in need of community assistance to start the recovery process.  Items of immediate need for the family are as follows:

  • Mom: XL shirt, size 14 pants, shoe size 8
  • Dad: XL shirt, 36×36 pants, shoe size 91/2
  • Daughter: (womens) L shirt, 6-8 pants, and shoe size 7-8
  • Son: (boys) 6 shirt, 5 pants,11-12 size shoe. He is 6 and small for his age

Donations can be dropped off at the Hillman Elementary School during the day.  A room has been designated for donations.  You are asked to stop at the office first for security purposes for the staff and students.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.  Items can be dropped off at:

Hillman Elementary School
245 E. 3rd St
Hillman, MI
(989) 742-4537

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Loading Disqus Comments ...
Loading Facebook Comments ...