LANSING, MI – The Department of Natural Resources today announced the three winners of the sixth annual Pure Michigan Hunt.
Mike DiLorenzo of Rochester, Jason Eurich of Saginaw and Michael Sikkenga of Whitehall each won a pocket full of hunting licenses and more than $4,000 worth of hunting gear.
“I was thrilled and humbled to be picked as a Pure Michigan Hunt winner,” said DiLorenzo, who works for Michigan Planners. “I’ve been applying for a Michigan elk license for over 20 years, and to finally get one, plus many other licenses, is amazing! I truly appreciate the Michigan DNR and what they are doing.”
Eurich’s story is a bit different. His mother, Myra Eurich, applied for the Pure Michigan Hunt and has transferred the entire prize package and all the licenses over to her son, Jason. “She thought it was a hoax and called me right away,” said Jason Eurich, owner of Eurich Home Improvement.
Sikkenga, who works for Consumers Energy, said he was ecstatic when he got the call from Russ Mason, DNR Wildlife Division chief, letting him know he’d won. “It feels like I’ve won the hunting lottery.”
Each $5 Pure Michigan Hunt application purchased helps fund wildlife habitat restoration and management in Michigan.
Each winner receives elk, bear, spring and fall turkey, and antlerless deer licenses to be used in 2015. In addition – along with three hunting companions – the winners will get first pick opening morning of the waterfowl season at any of Michigan’s premier Managed Waterfowl Hunt Areas. Sikkenga, DiLorenzo and Eurich each also won a package of gear donated by Michigan businesses and organizations:
- Annual subscription, calendar, camouflage hat and Outdoor Print of the Year – Michigan Outdoor News
- Custom shooting ear plugs – Michigan Hearing of Lake Orion
- Half-day, fully guided, five-bird pheasant hunt – Bear Creek Hunt Club of Saline
- $100 gas card – MUCC of Lansing
- $100 Jay’s Sporting Goods gift card – 9&10 News of Cadillac
- Sweatshirt and hat – Waterfowl USA of Erie
- Camouflage pop-up blind – Ameristep of Clio
- 12-gauge camouflage shotgun – Michigan Chapter of Ducks Unlimited
- Terminator II crossbow – Darton Archery of Hale
- 30.06 rifle – Michigan Gun Owners
- Go Pro outdoor camera – St. Clair Flats Waterfowlers
- Quiver accessories – Kwikee Kwiver of Williamsburg
- Hunting accessories – Harmon Scents of Williamsburg
- Custom Waterfowl Mount – The Trophy Room of Clare and Allendale
- Traps, DVDs, calls and more – Michigan Trappers and Predator Callers Association
- Turkey hunting gear – Michigan Chapter of National Wild Turkey Federation
- Herd monitoring kit – Michigan Chapter of Quality Deer Management Association
- $100 Cabela’s gift card – Saginaw Field and Stream Club
- Made in the USA quilt-lined Realtree Xtra® jackets and bib overalls – Carhartt of Dearborn
- Shotgun case and American Woodcock Society hat – Ruffed Grouse Society
- Eberlestock team elk pack – Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
- Guided spring turkey hunt – East Lake Outfitters of Essexville
- Memberships – National and Mid-Michigan Chapter of Safari Club International
The winners will be awarded their prizes officially at the next Natural Resources Commission meeting Feb. 12 in Lansing. Moose Creek Sports, located in Lansing, has graciously agreed to be a part of this meeting and will help register the guns that are donated.