O’Reilly has purchased the former Hungry Howies location on US-23 South. Plans are for a demolition of the current building that is on the property and a new structure to be built on the land.
O’Reilly Automotive, Inc., is a publicly traded chain of auto parts stores that started with one store in Springfield, Missouri, in 1957. It has since grown to include more than 4,100 stores in 42 U.S. states. The corporation is headquartered in Springfield.
The company officially started in the auto parts business in Springfield, Missouri, in November 1957, but its roots are earlier. The company’s history began with Charles Francis O’Reilly, a traveling salesman for Fred Campbell Auto Supply in St. Louis, Missouri. By 1924 Charles had become familiar with the Springfield area, having traveled by train to sell auto parts throughout the territory. They started in November 1957 with one store and 13 employees at 403 Sherman in Springfield. Their sales totaled $700,000 in 1958, their first full year of business. The business grew and prospered from its very first year.
In April of 2014, Hungry Howies closed up shop and the building has been vacant since that time. Some will remember the day when this location was known as Jim & Ann’s Drive-In. It then became The Reuben House under the ownership of Odie and Mary Mills-Griffith.