INGHAM COUNTY, MI – Please be aware of a scam in the area, where the callers state they are from the Internal Revenue Service attempting to collect money for back taxes, or you will be arrested and charged with tax fraud.
The number on the Caller ID shows 509-288-4649 which is not associated with the IRS, and if you do call that number they are falsely identifying themselves as being part of the Internal Revenue Service.
If you receive one of these calls, please DO NOT send money, make wire transfers, or give out credit card information to the callers. Please check these tips from the Internal Revenue Service, and click https://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Urges-Public-to-Stay-Alert-for-Scam-Phone-Calls for more information.
The IRS will not:
– Call you to demand immediate payment. The IRS will not call you if you owe taxes without first sending you a bill in the mail.
– Demand that you pay taxes and not allow you to question or appeal the amount you owe.
– Require that you pay your taxes a certain way. For instance, require that you pay with a prepaid debit card.
– Ask for your credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
– Threaten to bring in police or other agencies to arrest you for not paying.