Oakland County Man Hospitalized with Severe Burns Due to Butane Explosion

Please follow and like us:
0

BRANDON TOWNSHIP, MI – Sheriff Michael J. Bouchard would like to warn residents of the dangers of using butane for the purposes of making butane hash oil (BHO) after a local resident incurred severe injuries caused by a fire in his residence.DSC_0088

On March 9th, 2016, the Sheriff’s Office and Brandon Township Fire Department responded to a mobile home in the 3800 block of Red Bud Lane for an active fire in one area of the residence. Emergency responders were able to extinguish the fire and stop it from spreading. The Sheriff’s Office Fire Investigation Unit and Oakland County Hazmat were called to determine the origins and cause of the fire. The individual involved with the explosion is a 20-year-old Brandon Township resident. He was taken to the University of Michigan Burn Center and was released three days after being admitted.

Evidence at the scene indicated the fire was caused due to an accident using butane to extract tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) from marijuana. This process is becoming more common in order to turn plant-based marijuana into other concentrated forms of marijuana often referred to as ‘wax’, ‘shatter’, ‘butter’, and ‘dabs’.

“Butane hash oil explosions have increased dramatically across the United States as the public obtains more access to larger quantities of marijuana,” said Sheriff Michael J. Bouchard. “Many do not realize that the process may appear simple, but is actually very sophisticated as well as dangerous and may result in a flash fire that can blow out doors, window, burn your house down, and cause severe injury.”

The incident is still under investigation by the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office Narcotic Enforcement Team. When the investigation is complete, appropriate charges will be submitted to the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Please follow and like us:
0

Be the first to comment on "Oakland County Man Hospitalized with Severe Burns Due to Butane Explosion"