PONTIAC, MI – A body was discovered after the flames of a car fire were put out near a closed school in Pontiac on Monday April 2nd, 2018. That person has been identified as Dr. Norman Valdes Cotten Jr. of Howell.
After an autopsy was conducted on Monday on Norman Cotton, no signs of trauma were discovered on his body. A box cutter knife was located melted to the right thigh area of the deceased with the blade open. The preliminary cause of death was ruled to be thermal burns, along with smoke and soot inhalation. However, the final result of the autopsy is pending the results of the toxicology report.
Dr. Norman Cotten Jr. was identified Wednesday evening at 7:00PM by the Oakland County Medical Examiner through dental records. He also had Identification in his back pocket along with several credit cards and a money clip containing a few dollars. The credit cards were in the name of Norman Valdes Cotten Jr., a 54 year old man from Howell, MI and his identity was confirmed with the use of the dental records. He was a Chiropractor with offices in Fowlerville, MI and Commerce Twp., MI
Two gasoline cans were located in the vehicle. One was in the trunk of the vehicle which appeared to be full and another one in the rear backseat of the vehicle which was pancaked/flattened to the floor. According to the wife of the decedent, two gas cans are missing from their home.
His wife also indicated that the morning of the incident, Dr. Cotten left their home abruptly leaving his cell phone behind.
The majority of the charring and burning seemed to be centered around the front seat passenger side of the vehicle and the backseat area of the vehicle.
Anyone who may have seen Dr. Cotten on the day in question between the hours 7:15AM and 9:52 AM or his car, a red 2008 Cadillac CTS, MI License Plate: STORM24 is asked to call the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office at 248-858-4911.