FLINT, MI – A Flint man who was convicted of kidnapping and rape last month by a jury will be 80-years-old before he is eligible to be considered for parole.
Martize Rede-Jordan Evanish, 28-years-old, was found guilty of two counts of first degree criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping, armed robbery, and six counts of various weapons charges related to the August 29th, 2015 incident in the City of Flint.
On Monday of this week, Circuit Court Judge Richard Yuille sentenced him to a minimum of 52 years and up to 72 years in prison.
According to testimony and evidence presented at trial, Evanish picked up the victim in his car in the vicinity of Fenton Road and Pettibone Avenue and drove her to another location where a group of other men got into the vehicle with guns and a taser. Evanish and the others then brutally assaulted the woman before letting her go. The woman went door to door looking for help before a passerby gave her a phone which she used to call 9-1-1.
For the next two months, the woman began looking at mugshots of suspects posted on the City of Flint Police website and she was able to identify Evanish and his half-brother, Cordario Colter, as two of the men who assaulted her.
In April, Colter plead guilty to two counts of first degree criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping, armed robbery and three related weapons charges. In May, he was sentenced to 11 years in prison.
“Evanish has a very extensive criminal history,” said Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton after the sentencing. “We are pleased to see the Judge sentence him to a very lengthy term in prison so that he will not be free to prey on our community any longer,” he said.
With several others who were involved in this assault still being sought, City of Flint Police are continuing their investigation and encourage anyone with information to call Flint Police at (810)2376901 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-422-JAIL (5245).