FLINT, MI – Late Thursday evening around 11:20 p.m., a male pedestrian walking in front of St. Michaels Church at 5th St. and Saginaw was pushed down by two individuals and items were taken from his pockets.
One subject was arrested at the scene by the Flint Police Department with the assistance of UM-Flint Department of Public Safety. There remains one outstanding person involved. Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact the Flint Police Department.
For your use in the future, here are some safety tips to follow:
• Follow your instincts. If you do not feel safe, do your best to remove yourself from the situation.
• Travel well-lighted and well-traveled areas. Have your keys in your hand as you approach your door, and remember to be alert to what and who is around you.
• There’s safety in numbers. If you must be out at night, arrange to go to class or do errands with a companion or two. If you are alone in the University of Michigan-Flint area, use the free DPS escort service. Call the Department of Public Safety (DPS) at 810-762-3333 to request the service.
• Avoid displaying and carrying large sums of money in public. Only carry the credit cards you need.
• Be careful with purses or wallets. Carry a purse close to your body, but do not loop or wrap straps around you. A purse snatcher could injure you. If a purse snatcher demands your purse, toss it down on the ground and attempt to quickly leave the area. Keep wallets in an inside pocket.
• Be alert and aware. Avoid distracted walking! It’s a good idea to avoid text messaging and talking on the phone. Pay full attention to who is around you when you are in public.
• Know the locations of the Emergency Blue phones while on campus.