MASON, MI – At approximately 12:00 a.m. this morning, Monday December 3rd, 2018, corrections staff were alerted to a smoke alarm in the laundry area of the jail.
As they arrived they discovered a clothes dryer had caught fire. Deputies used fire extinguishers within minutes and it was extinguished prior to the arrival of fire personal. It appears as though lint had come in contact with the heat source causing the fire. The dryer was not in operation at the time of the fire, but had been used within the last hour.
The laundry facility is an area away from staff and inmates and is unoccupied during the overnight hours. The dryer is a complete loss, but the others were not affected.