NEW CASTLE, PA – A 35-year-old man, formerly of Detroit, is in custody facing 23 charges in Pennsylvania after being on the run for 2 1/2 years.
According to New Castle News, Ernest Chapman was arrested by New Castle police on January 31st, 2019. 2 1/2 years ago Chapan was involved in a police pursuit that resulted in a school lockdown.
On September 29th, 2016, police in New Castle tried to arrest Chapman but he fled into the woods on the city’s East Side. The search for him prompted a lockdown of the Harry W. Lockley Early Learning Center and the Croton Pre-Kindergarten.
On September 30th, 2016, confidential informants told police that Ernest Chapman, whose nicknames are “Sincere” and “B”, was selling heroin to them at a house on Fern Street. The informants, under police surveillance, had arranged to buy heroin from Chapman at the Fern Street location
Local narcotics detectives were conducting surveillance on an East Washington Street apartment building when they saw Chapman walk out of the building and get into a vehicle. They initiated a felony traffic stop, knowing he was wanted for the alleged chase after having been released from jail in Michigan.
Chapman had been arrested on a fugitive warrant from Michigan in May 2017, after having been found in Alabama. There was a detainer on him in Detroit, however, the charges against him in Detroit were dropped and he was released because there was no detainer on him for the local charges.
Ernest Chapman is now facing the following charges:
- Two counts of fleeing and eluding police and reckless driving,
- Four counts each of possession and possession with intent to deliver controlled substances
- Two count of criminal use of a communication facility
- One count each of kidnap to facilitate a felony
- Unlawful restraint
- Aggravated assault
- Carrying a firearm without a license
- Recklessly endangering another person
- Simple assault
- Terroristic threats
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- And a stop light violation.
He being held on $750,000 bond on those charges.
Based on records from the Michigan Department of Corrections, Ernest Chapman has previous convictions in Michigan for:
- Prisons – Prisoner Possessing Contraband
- Weapons – Felony Firearms 2nd Offense
- Weapons – Felony Firearms
Further information is available in the report from New Castle News.