NILES, MI – On Tuesday July 16th, 2019, members of the Southwest Enforcement Team, Michigan State Police, and Berrien County Sheriff Department conducted an arrest operation at the Walmart store located at 2107 South 11th St in Niles Township.
George L Harris, 27-years-old, was arrested following a one month investigation into the distribution of heroin in Niles Township, and the City of South Bend. As a result of this operation SWET detectives seized approximately Fifty-four (54) grams of heroin. During the operation, the suspect vehicle attempted to flee the area and struck a detectives car. The driver Harris was then taken into custody after this car crash.
The second suspect Robert Williams (25) who was a passenger in the suspect’s car was also arrested during this operation.
During a search of the suspect’s car, detectives located 54 grams of heroin, several digital scales, a Glock pistol with a 50 round drum magazine, and other narcotics related items.
George Harris was lodged in Berrien County Jail on the following charges:
1. Delivery of Heroin 2nd
2. Possession with intent to deliver heroin 2nd over 50grams
3. Felon in possession of a firearm
4. Possession of a firearm in commission of a felony
5. Destruction of police property
6. Maintaining a drug vehicle
Robert Williams was lodged in Berrien County Jail on the following charges:
1. Possession with intent to deliver heroin over 50grams
2. Felon in possession of a firearm
3. Possession of a firearm in commission of a felony
4. Out of state warrant for armed robbery and parole absconder