YPSILANTI TOWNSHIP, MI – The Washtenaw County Sheriff’s Office is aware of and is investigating the use of force applied in an arrest that took place in the Appleridge community early this morning, Tuesday May 26th, 2020 .
As with any situation where a deputy uses force, a full and thorough review will be completed. They are committed to sharing all the relevant factual information with the public as it becomes available.
Below please find the specific steps you may expect from the Sheriff’s Office in this matter along with an overview of the initial call for service.
STEPS BEING TAKEN
• An internal Subject Control/Use of Force review has begun. This is normal procedure.
• Some staff involved in the incident have been placed on administrative leave pending the investigative results. This is normal procedure as well.
• Following a preliminary gathering of facts, an external agency will be asked to conduct the internal investigation.
• All relevant body-worn camera and dash camera video and audio has been collected.
• They have begun the process of conducting initial interviews for both the original shooting incident and the force used in the arrest of two individuals.
• They will provide on-going updates to the community as the matter proceeds.
INITIAL CALL FOR SERVICE
On Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 12:11 am, Metro Dispatch received a call of shots fired in the 2000 block of Peachcrest St., in Ypsilanti Township. The caller advised that there were approximately thirty (30) people arguing and that they had heard gunshots. Upon arrival, the responding deputies found numerous individuals on the scene. Other police agencies responded to assist.
As the deputies began to investigate, they were flagged down and alerted to a gunshot victim that was several doors down from the original home where the incident was reported to have taken place. Investigating further, they found a thirty-four (34) year old woman who had been shot in the back and needed medical attention. Medical personnel had been summoned and began to arrive as the deputies were rendering aid and attempting to secure the scene.
A potential suspect in the shooting was identified during the investigation, and deputies attempted to make contact at a home in the 2000 block of Peachcrest where the shooting was alleged to have taken place. At the same time, to assure that the immediate area was safe and that a suspect did not flee, they attempted to establish a perimeter around the home.
As the deputies began the process of clearing the crime scene area for the safety and security of all involved, two (2) individuals refused to leave the area. The individuals were instructed to leave and warned that if they failed to leave, they could be arrested for obstructing the investigation. Unable to secure voluntary compliance the deputies arrested both subjects. An altercation ensued during the arrest.
All actions taken, including the force used in the arrest, are being investigated.
If you would like to Join our Group on Facebook, you can find us at MI Crimes and Headlines or visit our Official page on Facebook. You can also find us on Instagram and Pinterest by clicking on either link.