EASTPOINTE, MI – On Friday January 15th, 2021, Eastpointe Police officers were dispatched to the area of Oakwood Ave and Stephens regarding a shots fired complaint.
The investigation revealed that one if not two vehicles drove by an occupied parked vehicle on Oakwood and fired several shots. The person in that vehicle was struck by the gunfire causing non-fatal injuries. The person who was inside of the vehicle is not a resident of Eastpointe.
Eastpointe Police believe that the incident was prearranged and was retaliatory. Detectives have been collecting video, interviewing residents, and analyzing evidence.
In addition, they are working in conjunction with other local, state and federal agencies in order to compare information to develop suspects. This shooting may be related to others in neighboring communities.
The Eastpointe Police Department is advising of what can be done:
- If you observe any occupied suspicious vehicles on your street, immediately call dispatch so officers can get to the area to check out those who are in the area.
- If you hear gunfire, do not go outside to investigate or report it on social media; call 911.
- If you have reason to believe that one of your neighbors is trafficking narcotics, please call dispatch and give them as much information as possible.
- The Eastpointe Police Department drug unit is up and running.· If you suspect that someone who resides in your household may be involved in a gang, their youth officer might be of assistance.·
- If you have security cameras, make sure they are working properly.
- If you hear one of your neighbors arguing with other family members, and things are getting out of control, please call 911 so officers can intervene.
- If you or one of your family members suffer from substance abuse, Eastpointe Police participate in Hope Not Handcuffs and can direct you to Families Against Narcotics.
Unfortunately, most violent crimes are a result of domestic violence, drug use/trafficking, and gang affiliation. Many of those types of crimes are difficult to predict or prevent. However, if more people become aware of their surroundings, the better chance police will have in solving those situations.
Because this investigation is ongoing, they cannot release further information at this time. Officers have been instructed to conduct extra patrols in the subdivisions.