PORT AUSTIN, MI – On Thursday January 21st, 2021, at 7:25 p.m., Port Austin Firefighters were dispatched to a mobile home fire in the 1200 block of Pt. Austin Road in Hume Township. A passerby called 911 dispatch to report the fire.
While working to contain the flames once scene, fire department personell who had made entry to the mobile home to fight the flames discovered a person on the floor near the front door. Unfortunately that person was deceased.
Concerns were elevating that the structure could collapse. Firefighters immediately pulled the body of that person from the burning building.
A Huron County Sheriffs Deputy had arrived on scene and was directing traffic. While directing traffic he was also speaking with family, friends and neighbors to determine the identity of the victim.
Over the course of the next several hours, he with the assistance of firemen, family and friends, a Huron County Medical Examiner Investigator and a Michigan State Police Fire Investigator determined the female resident to be Terry A. Glowacki.
Terry Glowacki had been celebrating her 60th birthday most of the day. It is believed she had been celebrating in her home with alcohol throughout the course of the day.
To keep her home warm Terry used space heaters. Her last known communication with anyone outside of her house was when she spoke with a friend at about 7:00 p.m. It is believed that Terry could smell smoke at that time while she was on the telephone with her friend. Investigators believe that one of the space heaters was the source of the fatal fire.
The investigation continues and an autopsy has been ordered to take place in the coming days.
Other agencies responding were the Kinde Area Fire Department, Huron Central Ambulance North and the Caseville Fire Department.