BERLIN TOWNSHIP, MI – At approximately 12:39 a.m. on Monday May 3rd, 2021, troopers from the Michigan State Police Monroe Post were dispatched to an address on Canterberry Lane for an apartment fire at Northwoods Apartments.
Callers reported flames from the exterior of the building. Upon arrival, troopers worked to evacuate the building. The fire is believed to have been accidently started when a tiki torch filled with lighter fluid fell over. One resident was treated at the scene for burns to his hand. Residents from 12 apartments were displaced by the fire with three apartments sustaining major damage. The American Red Cross was notified to assist residents.
Troopers were assisted by personnel from the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office and Monroe Community Ambulance. Members from Berlin Fire Department, Frenchtown Fire Department, Estral Beach Fire Department, and Ash Township Fire Department worked quickly to extinguish the fire. Anyone having information about the incident is asked to contact Sgt. Sharon McDonald of the Michigan State Police Monroe Post at 734-242-3500.