Thu. Aug 5th, 2021

MONROE, MI – Michael Clifton, 50-years-old, a shooting suspect from Monroe, MI, was shot and killed by Toledo police officers and Michigan State Police troopers after a lengthy pursuit and standoff.

At approximately 12:55 AM, Monroe County Dispatch notified Toledo Police Communications that Michigan law enforcement agencies were in pursuit of Michael Clifton who fired at least one gunshot near 2121 N. Monroe St. Monroe, MI. At about 12:59 AM, the pursuit entered Toledo via I-75 south.

Around 1:01 AM, the first Toledo police unit joined the pursuit in the area of Detroit and Phillips. The pursuit continued for approximately three more minutes before Mr. Clifton’s vehicle crashed near Virginia and Scottwood. Mr. Clifton exited the vehicle with a handgun to his head and began walking down Scottwood towards W. Bancroft.

While Mr. Clifton continued to walk with the gun, the Toledo Fire and Rescue Department and Toledo Police Critical Incident Negotiator Team were requested to the scene. An officer from the Critical Incident Negotiator Team responded and began speaking with Mr. Clifton, who still had the gun to his head, attempting to de-escalate the situation. The negotiator attempted de-escalation techniques for just over eighteen minutes. During the negotiations, a Michigan State Police trooper unsuccessfully deployed a taser at Mr. Clifton in an attempt to incapacitate him.

A few minutes later, while negotiations were still being attempted, Mr. Clifton made verbal and hand motions indicating that he was going to point the gun at officers. Mr. Clifton began saying “Tick Tock” multiple times then put the gun back to his head. Mr. Clifton then brought the handgun down into a shooting stance and began to raise it towards officers. Multiple officers from the Toledo Police Department and troopers from the Michigan State Police shot Mr. Clifton with their agency issued firearms. Mr. Clifton was pronounced deceased on scene.

The Toledo Police officers who fired their weapons will be place on paid Administrative Leave per collective bargaining agreements. As the case continues to be investigated, additional information will be forthcoming. The involved TPD officer’s information, dash-cam footage, and body-worn camera footage will be released at a news conference in the near future, date and time to be determined.

Two MSP troopers involved in the incident have been placed on administrative leave per department protocol while the investigation continues.

If you would like to Join our Group on Facebook, you can find us at MI Crimes and Headlines or visit our Official page on Facebook. You can also find us on Instagram and Pinterest by clicking on either link.


Facebook Comments

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap