We want you to feel welcome when you post a comment on MI Headlines. We want everyone to feel at home posting comments on MI Headlines. We don’t know what your home is like, but we know how we expect people to behave when they visit ours. That’s why we reserve the right to delete comments and ban users as needed to keep the comment threads here civil and substantive.
Our No. 1 house rule is simple: Don’t be a jerk.
Want to be the kind of person making comments we’d love to bring home to Thanksgiving dinner? Here’s what we like to see in comments:
- Weigh in with smart, informed ideas that contribute further to the story.
- Give us useful, constructive criticism. Spot a typo or an error? Let us know and we will correct it.
- Demonstrate and share the intelligence, wisdom, and humor we know you possess.
- Don’t feed the trolls. You wouldn’t dive into a debate without having facts and being ill-informed. So why would you want to take the chance of being eaten alive? Downvote and flag comments instead.
Although we can’t be everywhere at once, here are some of the kinds of comments we’re going to do our best to curtail:
- Promoting your own brand, product, or blog. So you’ve got a climate change solution that will simultaneously solve world poverty. Great. Send it through our contact form. We work hard every day to promote our brand you work on doing the same in your own space and time.
- Impersonating authors or other commenters. We can’t believe we have to say this, but: Don’t do that. It’s weird.
- Comments that make it clear you didn’t read the article. Enraged that we didn’t mention X in a story about Y? Although we try very hard to please as many as possible, we cannot always do so. So take a breath. It will be alright.
- Comments that are completely out of left field. Sometimes discussions veer off a bit, but are still related to the original subject. That is fine. Hijacking the conversation to promote off-topic commentary is not.
- Threats — no matter how vague — against the author or other commenters. Things can get heated. Before you casually mention your foe’s home address, think before you post.
- Racism, sexism, homophobia, you get the drift. Call us the PC Police, fine, but don’t say we didn’t warn you when you get tased. **And by tased, we mean banned or deleted. MI Headlines has not — and will not — ever tolerate such behavior.
- Trolling. If you’re a climate denier just out for a good trolling and are not contributing meaningfully to the conversation, we’ll be pushing you back under the bridge.